When the weather starts to turn cold you may realize you need an alternative method to heat your home. There are many options when it comes to stoves and heaters that are designed to be used as a primary heat source.
Some are relatively easy to install while others can be more complicated and likely more expensive. One option for home heating is a pellet stove. These stoves use pellets made from wood or other materials as fuel and can be a very efficient way to heat your space. They work especially well in smaller homes.
When you’re choosing a pellet stove, whether it’s for a new addition to your home or to replace an old heating source, you should consider the square footage of the space you want to heat. Some pellet stoves are capable of heating larger spaces while smaller options work better in areas with less square footage.
Pellet stoves are not difficult to install but you may need the help of a professional if you’re not experienced in that type of work. The following is a list of the 10 best pellet stoves based on reviews by consumer reports.
10. Summers Heat SHP10 Pellet Stove
The Summers heat SHP10 Pellet Stove is made in the US of high quality materials. This stove is smaller in size than some other pellet stoves which makes it ideal for use in a home where you don’t have a lot of floor space for a larger stove
This pellet stove can be used in small to medium size homes as a primary heat source. It’s easy to use and has a one-button ignite feature so you can turn it on effortlessly whenever you need heat. This stove is efficient and burns less fuel than some other similar stoves.
- no gel or fire starter required
- equipped with 40 pound hopper
- can heat for 15-25 hours with one fueling
- easy to use with push button igniter
- entire stove is made with durable materials
- burns less fuel and heats longer
- not ideal for large homes
- the black finish on the outside may wear off in places
This pellet stove is designed to heat small to medium size homes and it works efficiently. The 40 hopper means that you can heat your home for up to 25 hours with one fueling. The stove is easy to use and you can turn it on with the touch of a button.
9. US Stove 5660 Bay Front Pellet Stove
The US Stove 5660 Bay Front Pellet Stove has a beautiful large display window so you can easily see the flames from different parts of the room. This stove can be used to heat a space up to 2200 square feet and provides up to 48,000 BTUs.
This pellet stove has a large capacity hopper so you don’t have to refill it with fuel as often. It’s equipped with electronic controls that allow you to turn the stove on easily when you need it. This stove is even approved for use in modular and mobile homes.
- automatic ignition for convenience
- temperature control circulation blower for even heat circulation
- designed to heat up your room quickly and efficiently
- bay-style viewing window
- EPA certified in all states
- large hopper for less frequent refueling
- stove is quite large and heavy
- requires frequent cleaning of the burn pot
This pellet stove can be used in homes up to 2200 square feet to provide even heat in an efficient way. The stove has a large viewing window to add a cozy atmosphere to your home. It’s fully automatic so that you can turn it on effortlessly when your home gets cold.
8. TimberRidge 55-TRPEPI Pellet Fireplace Insert
The TimberRidge Pellet Fireplace Insert is designed to be installed in an existing fireplace. This unit is ideal for those who are seeking an easier and cleaner way to heat their home rather than using a standard wood burning unit.
This fireplace insert from TimberRidge includes most everything you need for installation into an existing fireplace. It has a classic design with a large viewing window so you can easily see the flames from different areas in the room.
- 45 pound hopper
- includes the outdoor air kit
- has 3″ flue collar
- works with masonry or zero clearance fireplaces
- can provide up to 24 hours of heat on one fueling
- equipped with user-friendly control panel
- only works in existing fireplace, not freestanding
- unit is heavy and weighs around 255 pounds
This pellet stove is designed to be installed into an existing fireplace. It can work well for those who are remodeling or updating an old fireplace and want an easier and cleaner burning option. The fireplace has a control panel that’s easy to use with an auto start feature for convenience.
7. Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22-SS
The Comfortbilt Pellet Stove is designed to heat a space up to 2000 square feet. This unit is ideal for small to medium sized homes and can be used as your primary heating source. This freestanding pellet stove has a unique look with a golden brown finish.
This pellet stove from Comfortbilt comes with a 1 year warranty on the parts from the manufacturer. They also include technical support if you need it. The stove is made of durable materials and is designed to heat your home efficiently.
- can provide around 50,000 BTUs
- equipped with 55 pound hopper
- has a large viewing area so you can easily see the flames
- made of high quality materials with a stainless steel frame
- has a bay window design
- programmable thermostat allows you to easily control the temperature
- stove is large and heavy, making installation a challenge
- stove timer can only be used to turn the unit off
This pellet stove from Comfortbilt has a stylish look and a beautiful large window for viewing. The stove is made of quality materials and has a powerful blower to heat your home quickly and efficiently. The programmable thermostat and automatic ignition have been added for comfort and convenience.
6. Pelpro Pellet Stove – 50,000 BTU, EPA-Certified
The Pelpro Pellet Stove can easily heat a space of up to 2200 square feet in size. This stove has an extra large hopper and is able to provide heat for a long period of time on only one fueling. It has an efficient design so you don’t have to worry about wasting fuel.
This pellet stove from Pelpro offers extended burn times in comparison to many similar stoves from other brands. This allows you to have consistent heat without having to refuel frequently. The stove includes the thermostat and blower.
- 3″ flue collar size
- EPA certified efficiency level of 86.5%
- large hopper can burn up to 80 hours
- heats longer without refueling
- has 3 different heat settings
- can output 50,000 BTUs
- needs to be cleaned frequently
- replacement parts may be hard to find
This pellet stove from Pelpro is large and designed to heat a space up to 2200 square feet. The stove works efficiently and is equipped with a large hopper to prevent the need to add pellets as often as with other stoves. It comes with a thermostat, has 3 different heat settings, and also includes the blower.
5. US Stove GW1949 Wiseway Non-Electric Pellet Stove
The US Stove GW1949 Wiseway Non-Electric Pellet Stove is EPA certified and uses a natural gravity feed system for less maintenance and less energy used. This stove can be used to heat a small to medium size home up to 2000 square feet.
This pellet stove from US Stove Company can provide around 40,000 BTUs to warm your space up efficiently. The stove has a stylish modern look and a durable finish that is designed to last through many years of use.
- uses standard 3″ pellet venting
- equipped with a 60 pound hopper
- can heat consistently for up to 36 hours on one fueling
- made of long-lasting materials
- modern design that stands apart from other pellet stoves
- operates silently so it doesn’t disturb you when it’s running
- may not heat up as quickly as electric pellet stoves
- stove may take longer to heat up than other styles of stoves
This pellet stove from US Stove Company has a stylish design with an natural gravity feed so it uses less energy than electric pellet stoves. It’s designed to heat a space up to 2000 square feet and can heat for around 36 hours when you fill the 60 pound hopper with fuel.
4. Napoleon TPI35 Pellet Stove Insert
The Napoleon TPI Pellet Stove Insert is designed to be installed in an existing fireplace for an easier and more convenient way to heat your home. This stove can be used if you’re removing and updating an old wood burning fireplace and the installation process is fairly easy.
This pellet stove from the Napoleon brand comes with the flashing and a stylish black trim to fit inside your existing fireplace. The stove has a viewing window so you can see the flames from around the room and it has a classic look to add a cozy ambiance to your space.
- equipped with black door with air wash
- offers 30 hours of burn time
- needs minimal maintenance
- comes with 120 CFM convection fan
- 45 pound hopper means less refueling
- tested to burn 50% mixture of corn and pellets
- needs frequent cleaning for efficient heating
- pricier than some similar pellets stoves
This pellet stove from Napoleon comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. It can heat a space up to 2000 square feet. This stove insert is designed to provide you with an economical way to heat your space with a hopper that can hold enough fuel to prevent constant refueling.
3. Pleasant Hearth Medium 35000 BTU’s Pellet Stove
The Pleasant Hearth Medium Pellet Stove can provide around 35,000 BTUs to heat your space quickly and comfortably. This stove is a smaller unit compared to many other pellet stoves and is able to heat a space of up to around 1750 square feet.
This pellet stove from Pleasant Hearth includes most of the things you need for installation. It requires a small amount of assembly before you can install it in your home. This is a freestanding stove that has a relatively small footprint to work well in smaller spaces.
- comes with 40 pound hopper
- can heat for around 12-24 hours on one fueling depending on the heat settings
- EPA certified with an efficiency rating of 85%
- automatic light ignition so you can turn the unit on with little effort
- equipped with 5 different heat settings
- Comfort Control System helps keep the space at your desired temperature
- not designed for use in large homes
- needs frequent cleaning and maintenance to work efficiently
This pellet stove from Pleasant Hearth is designed to heat small to medium homes up to 1750 square feet. The stove is smaller compared to many other stoves with a hopper capacity of 40 pounds. The stove comes with the outside air kit and blower to make installation quick and easy.
2. Castle 12327 Serenity Wood Pellet Stove
The Castle 12327 Serenity Wood Pellet Stove comes with a technologically advanced controller that allows you to easily control the temperature for comfort in your home. This stove operates at 69.8% efficiency and is able to heat a space up to 1500 square feet.
This compact pellet stove from Castle Pellet Stoves is designed to be easy to clean and require less maintenance than other comparable stoves. It has an operating wattage of 77 watts and has a space-saving shape so that it can function in smaller spaces.
- Smart Controller for easy adjustments of temperature
- has calendar and time based setting options
- no tubes, corrugations, or hidden chambers to clean
- small footprint so it can fit into small rooms easily
- can set thermostat to desired temperature
- easy to operate for a comfortable warmth in your home
- not designed for use in larger homes
- 40 pound hopper can heat for as long as some stoves with larger hoppers
This compact pellet stove can heat a space up to 1500 square feet making it ideal for smaller homes and cabins. It has a 40 pound hopper and a smart control system that gives you plenty of options for heat settings. You can use the timer to schedule when you want the stove to run or use the manual mode.
1. Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22- 50,000 BTU
The Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22 is ideal for larger spaces as it’s designed to heat up to 2800 square feet. This options has a larger heating capacity than most other pellet stoves available. It has a stylish design with large viewing window so you can see the flames from around the room.
This pellet stove from Comfortbilt comes with a powerful blower to heat up your space quickly and efficiently. The stove has a 1 year parts warranty from the manufacturer along with technical assistance if something goes wrong with your stove.
- provides up to 50,000 BTUs
- has auto ignition for convenience
- bay design provides larger viewing area
- can heat a larger space than most
- 55 pound hopper capacity can hold a lot of fuel
- has an 86% burn efficiency rate
- unit is somewhat heavy and bulky
- it may need professional installation if you’re not experienced with this type of work
This pellet stove from Comfortbilt works well for larger spaces as it’s designed to efficiently heat a space of up to 2800 square feet. The stove has an automatic ignition and a programmable thermostat which makes it extremely user-friendly.
Choosing a pellet stove to heat your home can be ideal in many situations. These stoves don’t require a large space and you don’t have to deal with whole-house installation like you do with central heating. This type of stove burns pellets which you can order online or find in many hardware and other local stores.
They are easy to use and much less messy than traditional wood burning stoves. Plus, pellet stoves tend to be a very efficient way to heat your home. There are many options when it comes to pellet stoves. It’s important to choose the right size stove based on the size of your home.
You can also read online consumer reviews to help you find a well-made stove that will last through many years.
- 10. Summers Heat SHP10 Pellet Stove
- 9. US Stove 5660 Bay Front Pellet Stove
- 8. TimberRidge 55-TRPEPI Pellet Fireplace Insert
- 7. Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22-SS
- 6. Pelpro Pellet Stove – 50,000 BTU, EPA-Certified
- 5. US Stove GW1949 Wiseway Non-Electric Pellet Stove
- 4. Napoleon TPI35 Pellet Stove Insert
- 3. Pleasant Hearth Medium 35000 BTU’s Pellet Stove
- 2. Castle 12327 Serenity Wood Pellet Stove
- 1. Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22- 50,000 BTU