Hard water is common in many areas. Whether you have well water or water from a town or city, you may have issues with hard water that can cause problems in your home. Having hard water can mean damage to your dishwasher, washing machine, and other appliances that use water. It also builds up on pipes, shower walls, toilets, and other surfaces and can be very difficult to remove. A water softener is the best way to deal with hard water effectively.
There are many options when it comes to water softeners. Some are designed to be used on a specific area of your home while others have a whole-house design to soften the water where it comes into your home. The whole-house softeners are pricier but they can be a good option for those who have dealt with lots of hard water problems. The following is a list of the 10 best water softeners by consumer guides.
|Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter. Removes Iron, Manganese, H2S. Black Series||Buy on Amazon|
|DURAWATER Fleck 5600 SXT Iron Pro 48,000 Grain Water Softener Ships Pre Loaded with Resin In MIn...||Buy on Amazon|
|On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener||Buy on Amazon|
|Pentair WS48-56sxt10 Fleck water softener, Black||Buy on Amazon|
|Fleck 5600sxt Metered On-demand 48,000 Grain Water Softener with brine tank, bypass and 1" adapters||Buy on Amazon|
|Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System - Filters Sediment & 97% Of Chlorine - Carbon & KDF Home...||Buy on Amazon|
|Whirlpool WHES40E 40,000 Grain Water Softener-Built in USA-Salt Saving Technology-NSF Certified,...||Buy on Amazon|
|Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System||Buy on Amazon|
|Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler...||Buy on Amazon|
|Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System||Buy on Amazon|
10. Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter
The Durawater air injection iron eater filter is designed to easily remove iron from most water. This unit is well-made and relatively easy to install.
This filter from Durawater removes several potentially harmful compounds from your water. It can be used for residential use to provide you with a healthy water supply for drinking, cleaning, and other uses.
- removes iron and manganese
- uses air injection technology for maximum effectiveness
- Black Series system is ideal for iron removal up to 12 ppm
- can be installed easily by most people with the included instructions
- removes iron, sulfur, and manganese
- features a digital panel for ease of use
- pricier than many other similarly styled water softeners
- not ideal for removing some hard water elements
This water filter from Durawater removes iron and other substances using air injection technology. It creates a pocket of air to oxidize water for powerful filtration. This unit is easy to install by anyone with a little plumbing knowledge.
9. DURAWATER Fleck 5600 SXT Iron Pro 48,000 Grain Water Softener
The DURAWATER Fleck 5600 SXT Iron Pro water softener also acts as an iron filter. This unit is easy to install and includes a preloaded resin tank for convenience.
This water softener and iron filter from DURAWATER is designed for whole-house use. It can be used in homes with 2-5 people and is suitable for up to 3 bathrooms.
- has a 48,000 grain capacity
- removes all hardness from your water supply
- includes a digital metered valve which makes it easy to use
- designed for whole-house use
- simple to install for those with basic plumbing knowledge
- also removes iron and manganese
- due to the capacity and whole-house design, it may be pricier than some other options
- the large tank needs a bigger space for use than some other water softeners
This whole-house water softener is ideal for homes with 2-3 bathrooms. This unit removes iron, manganese, and elements that cause hard water buildup. It’s simple to install and comes with a pre-loaded tank.
8. On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener
The On The Go portable water softener is compact and ideal for use in smaller spaces. This unit removes many common elements and contaminants from water sources.
This water softener from On The Go is easy to install. It can be used for travel and is ideal to keep in an RV or travel trailer so you can always have access to soft water.
- weighs just 18 pounds
- unit is 8000 grains which works well for use on a small scale
- can be easily recharged with table salt
- installation is quick and easy
- affordable to use and recharge
- lightweight so you can store it when not in use
- not ideal for use in medium to large homes
- small capacity means you need to recharge it frequently
This portable water softener from On The Go is ideal for travel use in an RV. It can also be used in small homes. It’s easy to install and weighs just 18 pounds.
7. Pentair WS48-56sxt10 Fleck water softener
The Pentair WS48-56sxt10 Fleck water softener features a digital meatured control head that makes it simple to use. It’s ideal for use in most homes with hard water.
This water softener from Pentair comes with everything needed for quick installation in most places. Anyone with basic plumbing knowledge can install this unit easily.
- includes a standard 14X33 brine tank
- comes with an AFW installation kit that makes installing it quick and easy
- valve has a bypass and adapter to work well for most water sources
- has upgraded 10% crosslink resin
- can be installed with little plumbing knowledge
- digital control head makes this unit more functional
- unit is very large and requires a lot of space for installation
- understanding the installation instructions may be challenging for those with no plumbing experience
This whole-house water softener is designed for easy installation. It has the latest in technology to work effectively and efficiently. It can hold up to 250 pounds of salt and has a safety float to prevent overfilling.
6. Fleck 5600sxt Metered On-demand 48,000 Grain Water Softener
The Fleck 5600sxt metered on-demand water softener includes all the stuff you need to install it in your house. This large capacity water softener is designed for whole-house use.
This water softener from Fleck is well-made and designed to last for years. It comes with a mineral tank that’s pre-loaded which makes it easy to install in little time.
- has a digital metered readout
- brine tank includes a safety float to prevent overfilling
- overflow valve helps prevent water messes
- system only regenerates when needed which helps prevent water waste
- brine tank has a large capacity and can hold up to 250 pounds of salt
- uses a high capacity resin that’s designed to last
- doesn’t include a low salt indicator
- 48,000-grain tank is large and heavy which can limit your installation options
This water softener from Fleck is well-made with the latest technology. It uses a digital meter that allows the unit to only regenerate when needed.
5. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System
The Aquasana whole-house water filter system has a large capacity to be used in most size homes. This system is designed to remove most harmful compounds from your water.
This water filter system from Aquasana includes a filter that lasts for up to 10 years. This system removes pesticides, herbicides, rust, silt, sediment, and water-soluble elements.
- removes around 97% of chlorine
- filter is designed to be used with up to 1 million gallons of water
- has dual tanks to prevent clogging
- includes a sediment pre-filter and a post-filter to remove maximum contaminants
- removes harmful contaminants like lead and mercury
- makes your water taste better
- doesn’t have a salt-free water conditioner
- requires you to purchase replacement filters which can be pricey
This whole-house water filtration system removes many elements from your water. This helps your water taste better and reduces hard water stains on surfaces around your home.
4. Whirlpool WHES40E 40,000 Grain Water Softener
The Whirlpool WHES40E water softener has a 40,000 grain capacity. This unit works well for homes of most sizes to soften water so that it tastes better and leaves surfaces free of buildup.
This water softener from Whirlpool is well-made and designed to last for many years. It’s relatively easy to install with some basic plumbing knowledge.
- works well for households with 1-6 people
- uses salt-saving technology to prevent waste and save money
- includes a full 1-year warranty for parts and labor
- unit is NSF-certified to remove many water contaminants
- automatically calculates how much salt is needed based on your water condition
- removes up to 10 ppm or iron
- doesn’t have as long of a warranty as some other water softeners
- this water softener has a large footprint and needs a bigger space for use than most
This water softener from Whirlpool is easy to install, even for those with very little plumbing knowledge. It has a high capacity and can be used in most average homes.
3. Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System
The Fleck 56000SXT water softener is designed to work with the water in your entire house. It has a large capacity to work well in most homes.
This water softener from Fleck includes a digital readout that increases its functionality. It comes preloaded with resin so you can easily install it.
- has a 64,000 grain capacity to work well in small to medium size homes
- brine tank comes preloaded which means you don’t have to add the salt before installation
- includes a built-in capacitor that keeps a memory for up to 48 hours
- comes with everything you need for installation in most homes
- digital meter makes this unit easy to monitor
- includes a threaded bypass that’s compatible with standard plumbing and flex lines
- unit is heavy and weighs around 180 pounds which can cause the installation to be challenging
- understanding the installation instructions may be challenging for some
This water softener from Fleck is convenient to use for whole-house water softening. It comes with fittings that are compatible with plumbing in most homes. It has a large capacity to work well for homes of nearly any size.
2. Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System
The Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST whole house water filtration system removes many potentially harmful compounds from your water. It’s easy to install with the included hardware.
This whole house water filtration system from Aquasana is well-made and designed to last for years. It’s ideal for homes where the water quality isn’t safe for drinking or other uses.
- includes a UV purifier
- removes up to 97% of chlorine
- has a 5-year well filter system
- functions as a salt-free descaler
- removes most types of potentially harmful contaminants from your water
- makes water taste better
- system is much pricier than other systems
- this unit requires a lot of space for installation
This water softener from Aquasana is designed for whole-house use. It removes many common contaminants. It can reduce harmful compounds like lead, mercury, herbicides, and bacteria.
1. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener
The Fleck 5600SXT water softener has a 48,000 grain capacity. It’s designed to be used in homes with up to 6 people and is ideal for small to medium size houses.
This water softener from Fleck is designed to be easy to install and includes fittings that work with most plumbing fixtures. It includes the hardware needed for installation.
- includes a paddle wheel meter
- will treat up to 12 GPM
- comes with a Fleck bypass valve
- brine tank includes a safety float
- can be used for moderate to heavy water
- comes with a 1″ male threaded yoke connection
- installation can be challenging
- filling the tank with resin can be ver time consuming
This water softener from Fleck is designed to soften the water in your entire house. It’s relatively easy to install and includes the fittings needed for installation in most homes.
Hard water is problematic and can cause damage to your appliances, pipes, and other surfaces in your home. It’s also bad for your skin and hair. Plus, hard water builds up on your showers and other areas and it looks bad and is hard to clean. Using a water softener in your home can eliminate most problems associated with hard water. These softeners come in several styles at various price points so you can choose the best one for your home based on your needs.
Shopping for a water softener can be difficult if you don’t know much about how they work. Most use a compound to neutralize the hard components in your water source. Some water softeners can be installed by anyone with a little plumbing knowledge while others may require you to hire a professional for installation. Be sure to choose a water softener designed for your house based on size and usage of water. It’s also helpful to read online reviews to help you choose the best option based on price and features.
- 10. Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter
- 9. DURAWATER Fleck 5600 SXT Iron Pro 48,000 Grain Water Softener
- 8. On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener
- 7. Pentair WS48-56sxt10 Fleck water softener
- 6. Fleck 5600sxt Metered On-demand 48,000 Grain Water Softener
- 5. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System
- 4. Whirlpool WHES40E 40,000 Grain Water Softener
- 3. Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System
- 2. Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System
- 1. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener