There are many different options to choose from when you’re looking for ways to heat your home. The best option depends on your specific needs, the size of your space, and the heating method you prefer. Many people enjoy having a gas fireplace in their home since they’re easy to use and can heat up your space quickly.
Gas fireplaces come in many styles and sizes. Many are designed to look like traditional fireplaces while some may have a more modern look. When it comes to functionality, some gas fireplaces work better than others. It’s important to consider the size of your space when choosing the right fireplace for your home. The following is a list of the 10 best gas fireplace stoves based on reviews by consumer report.
10. Napoleon GVFS20N Fireplace
The Napoleon GVFS20N Fireplace has a stylish design with a timeless look that will enhance the ambiance of any room. This fireplace is ideal for use in a family room, bedroom, or dining room.
This fireplace from Napoleon has been tested as a heater to the unvented heating standard ANSI Z21.11.2B. It’s energy efficient and easy to operate so you can heat up your space quickly.
- has a painted black finish that’s designed to stand up to heat
- includes an exclusive PHAZERAMIC™ burner
- unit is mobile home approved to 23,000 BTUs
- comes with a milivolt remote control gas valve
- has a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- doesn’t require a chimney or venting
- doesn’t come with the stove top
- stove doesn’t come with a remote control
This beautiful gas stove is available in propane or natural gas. The stove has a classic design with a durable black finish. It’s approved for use in mobile homes and can heat up your space quickly.
9. Ashley AGC500VFBN Vent-Free Black Enameled Porcelain Cast Iron Stove
The Ashley cast iron stove has a vent-free design which makes installation quick and easy once you have your gas line installed. This unit has a beautiful design with a large viewing window so you can see the flames easily.
This gas fireplace from Ashley has the look of a wood burning fireplace with a realistic looking door on the front. The fireplace controls are hidden but are easily accessible using a swing-down bottom panel.
- can be hooked up to any standard milivolt thermostat
- includes a premium log set for realistic flames
- high gloss enamel finish is long-lasting and stylish
- can heat a space up to 1000 square feet in size
- provide up to 31,000 BTUs of heat
- easy to install and doesn’t need a vent
- pricey when compared to other gas fireplaces
- doesn’t include a remote control
This gas stove from Ashley is made from high quality materials. It’s ideal for use in a small home and can heat a space up to 1000 square feet. The stove has a class style that looks nice in your home.
8. Heritage Cast Iron Porcelain Black Stove
The Heritage Cast Iron Porcelain Black Stove is designed to be fueled by natural gas. This stove has a traditional look that will add a coze feel to nearly any room in your home.
This stove from Empire Comfort Systems is vent free which makes for quick and easy installation once you have your gas line installed. It has a standing pilot so you can use the stove during a power outage.
- includes a push button igniter
- rated at 25000 BTUs
- comes with a 6 piece log set for an authentic look
- unique burner system heats up your space quickly
- can be placed on nearly any type of flooring
- has fully operable cast iron doors
- side shelves and cast iron grids must be purchased separately
- not designed for use with propane
This cast iron stove has a black finish with a large door on the front so you can easily see the flames. The stove is medium in size and can be used in a bedroom, living room, or other space in your home.
7. Thelin Echo Direct Vent (NG) Natural Gas or (LP) Propane Heater
The Thelin Echo Direct Vent heater can be fueled by natural gas or propane which gives you options based on your preferred type of fuel. This stove comes with a beautiful metallic blue finish.
This stove from Thelin Echo has been manufactured in the USA and is made of high quality materials. It has two large doors in the front that allow you to see the flames inside.
- you can choose from the propane option or the natural gas option
- includes a realistic looking ceramic log set
- painted finish can stand up to heat and is designed to look great for years
- stove comes thermostat ready for convenience
- uses direct vent technology
- has a maximum BTU output of 31000
- requires venting through an exterior wall, vertically through the roof, or through a chimney
- installation is more complex than non-vented stoves
This cast iron gas stove from Thelin EchoDV gas is available in the propane version or the natural gas version. It has a direct vent design and includes a realistic looking set of logs to make your home feel cozy.
6. Napoleon Grandville VF Series GVF36-2N 37″ Vent Free Natural Gas Fireplace
The Napoleon Grandville VR Series fireplace is fueled by natural gas. This unit has a vent free design which makes it easier to install than those that require outdoor venting.
This fireplace features a pan style burner that can warm up your space quickly. It has a safe design and comes with an oxygen depletion sensor that turns the pilot off before oxygen falls below an unsafe level.
- offers 50% flame and heat adjustment for maximum comfort
- provides up to 30,000 BTUs of heating
- includes a realistic looking log set
- comes with a safety screen to keep children and pets safe
- Phazer logs create a natural wood burning look
- turns on or off with the flick of a switch
- unit is pricey when compared to many other gas fireplaces
- louver kit and trim kit must be purchased separately
This fireplace from Napoleon is easy to operate. It has a vent free design so you can install it nearly anywhere with gas line access. This fireplace is safe with the screen in front and the oxygen depletion sensor.
5. Ashley AGVF340LP Vent-Free Propane Gas Firebox
The Ashley AGVF340LP Vent-Free gas firebox is designed for use with propane. This unit can be installed in several different ways depending on the setup of your space.
This firebox from Ashley is versatile and can be used in nearly any room of your home. It can be installed in a mantle, a fireplace insert, or on legs, all of which can be purchased separately.
- can heat a space up to 1200 square feet in size
- has a maximum BTU output of 34000
- controls are hidden for a clean look
- includes the log and burner set for an authentic look
- comes with the 14 gas hook up hose
- can be used with any standard milivolt thermostat
- requires you to purchase other items for most types of installation
- fireplace doesn’t include a remote control
4. Duluth Forge DF25SMS Dual Fuel Vent Free Gas Stove
The Duluth Forge gas stove is compact and budget-friendly. This stove is ideal for use in a bedroom, living room, dining room, or other small to medium size room in your home.
This gas fireplace from Duluth Forge has a durable black finish that can stand up to high temperatures. The stove has a vent free design which makes installation a breeze.
- can be used with natural gas or propane
- has a maximum output of 23000 BTUs
- can heat a space up to 1,100 square feet
- no venting required for safe installation
- thermostat allows you to easily customize your heat settings
- has a builtin oxygen depletion sensor for safety
- doesn’t have side windows for viewing the flames
- the controls on the bottom of the unit which makes them difficult to reach
This gas fireplace from Duluth Forge is smaller in size than many other options. It’s also more affordable. It has a thermostat on the bottom of the unit so you can adjust the temperature for comfort.
3. ProCom Ventless Dual Fuel Stove
The ProCom Ventless Dual Fuel Stove is made of high quality materials and constructed in the US. This stove is capable of using either propane or natural gas so you can choose the fuel type that you prefer and have access to.
This stove from ProCom is economical for use in heating a space up to 1,100 square feet. It’s easy to install and requires no venting to an outside duct or chimney.
- includes a battery assisted Piezo ignition
- comes with a builtin oxygen depletion sensor that immediately shuts the stove down for safety
- thermostat allows you to adjust the temperature to your preferred level
- stove automatically cycles on and off to stay at your chosen temperature
- has a maximum flow of 25000 BTUs
- can be used in spaces up to 1,100 square feet
- front of stove doesn’t have a glass to protect children or pets from flames
- stove assembly can be challenging
This compact stove from ProCom is an affordable option that is easy to install without venting. This stove has a stylish black finish with an open front that lets you easily see the realistic looking flames.
2. Napoleon GDS20N Fireplace
The Napoleon GDS20N Fireplace is designed to be used with natural gas. This fireplace has a painted black finish that’s designed to stand up to heat without fading, cracking, or peeling.
This fireplace from Napoleon can be used completely without electricity which makes it a great option for those who experience frequent power outages in the colder months.
- includes a PHAZERAMIC™ burner system for a random flickering flame
- ember bed also has a realistic glow
- includes a 50% heat adjustment for comfort
- comes with a lightweight molded log set that appears to be authentic logs
- rear panel is reflective to provide even more light from the flames
- provides 20000 BTUs of heating power
- needs to be vented to the outside
- not ideal for use in large spaces
This fireplace from Napoleon has a beautiful design with a large window in the front to see the realistic flames and logs. It has a simple control panel on the bottom that you can keep concealed when not in use.
1. Pleasant Hearth VFS2-PH30DT 30000 BTU Vent-Free Gas Stove
The Pleasant Hearth VFS2-PH30DT has a vent free design which makes installation much quicker. This gas stove features duel fuel technology so you can use it with propane or natural gas.
This gas stove from Pleasant Hearth is small but powerful. It’s ideal for use in small to medium size rooms. This gas fireplace is the perfect option if you’re on a budget.
- provides 30000 BTUs per hour
- can be used to heat a space up to 1,000 square feet in size
- includes a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer
- can be fueled by natural gas or propane
- simple design looks great in any room
- vent free design makes installation easy
- not ideal for use in large spaces
- if using propane, you need a tank 100 pounds or larger
This compact gas fireplace from Pleasant Hearth can heat small spaces quickly. It’s designed for use in rooms that are smaller than 1000 square feet.
Gas fireplaces are easy to use and most require little installation if you already have a gas line. Installing the gas line can be challenging and is a job best left to professionals unless you’re knowledgeable in that area.
In most cases a gas fireplace is a cost efficient way to heat your home. Plus, they are ideal if you live in an area where the power frequently goes out in the winter since you can feel confident that your home will always have a heat source even without electricity. Some gas fireplaces are small and designed for use in small rooms.
Others may be able to heat large spaces. Choosing the right size gas fireplace stove for your home is one of the most important things to consider. You should also read up on the installation process as well as the design of the fireplace to be sure you purchase a quality stove that’s designed to last. It’s helpful to read online reviews from other consumers to help you choose the best option for the money you want to spend.
- 10. Napoleon GVFS20N Fireplace
- 9. Ashley AGC500VFBN Vent-Free Black Enameled Porcelain Cast Iron Stove
- 8. Heritage Cast Iron Porcelain Black Stove
- 7. Thelin Echo Direct Vent (NG) Natural Gas or (LP) Propane Heater
- 6. Napoleon Grandville VF Series GVF36-2N 37″ Vent Free Natural Gas Fireplace
- 5. Ashley AGVF340LP Vent-Free Propane Gas Firebox
- 4. Duluth Forge DF25SMS Dual Fuel Vent Free Gas Stove
- 3. ProCom Ventless Dual Fuel Stove
- 2. Napoleon GDS20N Fireplace
- 1. Pleasant Hearth VFS2-PH30DT 30000 BTU Vent-Free Gas Stove