Many dog owners don’t realize the importance of a healthy diet in keeping their dog well, happy, and active. Good food contains all the nutrients a dog needs to be happy and healthy. There are many different dog foods to choose from and some are much better than others. While the better dog food brands and formulas often cost significantly more, they can help keep your dog healthy and prevent many common diseases. This can actually save money in the long run since you won’t need to make frequent visits to the vet.
It’s very important to read ingredients on the dog food bag when you’re choosing the best one. Dog food should have real meat as the main ingredient since dogs thrive on eating a diet based in healthy proteins. Some dog foods may also contain beneficial fruits and vegetables which can add vitamins and minerals to their diet. The following is a list of the 10 best dog foods based on reviews by consumer guides.
10. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness natural dry dog food is made with natural, healthy ingredients. This dog food some in several flavors and formulas.
This dry dog food from Blue Buffalo can be used by most breeds and sizes of dogs. It has many nutrients to provide your dog with a well balanced diet.
- comes in several different bag sizes
- available in grain-free or with wholesome grains
- promotes joint health, which makes it great for large breeds
- comes in duck, chicken, and salmon flavors
- doesn’t contain meat by-products
- contains antioxidants for overall health
- pricey when compared to some other dog foods
- may not be ideal for puppies or senior dogs
This dry dog food from Blue Buffalo comes in various flavors and formulas. It’s made with quality protein and has other nutrients to provide your dog with everything they need to be healthy and active.
9. Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food
The Rachael Ray Nutrish dry dog food is made with high-quality meat and vegetables. This food comes in several different bag sizes so you can choose the best option based on your dog’s size and breed.
This dry dog food is made with many beneficial nutrients to help your dog stay healthy. It also contains ingredients to help promote a healthy coat.
- works well for small, medium, and large breed dogs
- comes in 6, 14, 28, and 40-pound bags
- contains chicken and vegetables to provide essential nutrients
- small pieces are easy to chew and digest
- real chicken is the first ingredients
- made without by-products and fillers
- contains corn, which can cause digestive issues for some dogs
- the soy in this food may cause skin problems in some dogs
This dog food from Rachael Ray Nutrish comes in 4 different sized bags. The food contains chicken as the main ingredient and also has vegetables for added nutrients.
8. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
Taste of the Wild dry dog food is made with high-quality ingredients and it includes plenty of protein to benefit active dogs. This food works well for most breeds, sizes, and ages.
This dog food from Taste of the Wild comes in several formulas. It’s also available in small bags, for those with dogs who eat small servings daily, and large bags for dogs with a bigger appetite.
- comes in puppy, grain-free, and ancient grains formulas
- available in 5-pound, 14-pound, and 28-pound bags
- contains 28% protein
- different formulas can work for nearly any dog
- made with bison and venison
- contains fruits and superfoods for added nutrients
- pricier than many other dry dog foods
- some dogs may not digest this high-protein food well
This dry dog food from Taste of the Wild is made with quality protein sources, including venison and bison. It also contains nutrients sourced from vegetables.
7. Cesar Gourmet Wet Dog Food
The Cesar Gourmet wet dog food comes in a package of 24. This food is ideal for small to medium size dogs based on the portion sizes. This pack has 2 different flavors.
This wet dog food works well for dogs that prefer softer textured food and can work well for older dogs that have problems chewing dry food. The different flavors help keep your dog interested in their food.
- available in many different flavor options
- portions are designed for small breeds
- food is made in the USA
- flavor varieties add interest to your dog’s meals
- soft texture makes the food easy to chew
- perfect portion sizes help reduce food waste
- pricier than dry dog food
- may not provide as many nutrients as other brands
This wet dog food from Cesar comes in small containers for portion control. It’s available in many different flavors so you can choose your dog’s favorite.
6. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
The Hill’s Science Diet dry dog food was designed for small breed dogs. This food is made with wholesome ingredients to provide your dog with all the nutrients needed to stay happy, healthy, and active.
This dog food for small dogs from Hill’s Science Diet comes in 2 flavors. The pieces are small and each to chew which makes it a great option for dogs who struggle with eating large pieces of kibble.
- available in chicken or lamb & rice
- designed for dogs from ages 1 through 6 years
- comes in 2 bag sizes
- made with ingredients that are easy to digest
- contains an antioxidant blend to promote immune health
- recommended by veterinarians
- not designed for puppies or senior dogs
- contains corn which can cause issues with some dogs
This dry dog food from Hill’s Science Diet is made with the needs of small-breed dogs in mind. This food comes in 2 flavors and it’s available in a 4.5-pound bag or a 15.5-pound bag.
5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
The Hill’s Science Diet dry dog food adult formula works well for most adult dogs. This food contains a blend of beneficial ingredients to provide your dog with all the nutrients needed to stay healthy.
This dry dog food from Hill’s Science Diet comes in several flavors and bag sizes. It’s designed to work particularly well for dogs that have digestive issues and food sensitivities.
- works well for dogs with a sensitive stomach
- contains beet pulp for prebiotic benefits
- vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acids promote skin health
- easy to digest
- comes in small, medium, and large size bags
- made with natural ingredients
- pricey when compared to many other brands
- pieces may be too large for small dogs
This dog food from Hill’s Science Diet was created to help dogs who deal with sensitive digestive systems. It also contains ingredients that can help with skin issues like rashes and itchiness.
4. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Chicken & Rice Dry Dog Food
The Purina ONE SmartBlend natural adult dry dog food is made with chicken and rice. This dog food comes in several different bag sizes so you can choose the best option based on how much your dog eats.
This dog food from Purina ONE contains real chicken as the first ingredient. The nutrients in this food promote overall health to help your dog stay active, happy, and healthy.
- made with an antioxidant blend to help promote a healthy immune system
- doesn’t contain fillers
- crunchy kibble and meaty morsels are easy to chew and digest for most dogs
- made with high-quality ingredients
- contains glucosamine to help with joint health
- the included prebiotic fiber helps with digestion
- pricey when you consider the price per pound compare with similar foods
- contains corn, which can cause skin and digestive issues for some dogs
This dry dog food from Purina ONE is made with natural ingredients. The chicken and rice blend has chicken as the first ingredient to provide your dog with a healthy and beneficial protein source.
3. Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics Shredded Blend High Protein, Adult Dry Dog Food
The Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics high-protein dry dog food is ideal for active dogs. This food contains nutrients to promote digestive health, immune health, and overall wellness.
This dry dog food from Purina Pro Plan contains crunchy kibble and chewy nuggets made with real chicken. It also contains live prebiotics which can reduce many common digestive issues.
- available in 6-pound, 18-pound, 35-pound, and 47-pound bag sizes
- can be used for all breed sizes
- contains omega-6 fatty acids to promote a healthy coat
- easy to digest, even for most dogs with sensitivities
- pieces are small enough to be eaten by dogs of any size
- probiotics help promote healthy digestion and immune health
- price per pound may be significantly higher than many other dog food
- contains poultry by-products
This dry dog food from Purina Pro Plan has a high concentration of protein which is beneficial for most dogs. It also contains other nutrients to promote digestive health and immune health.
2. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
The Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach dry dog food has been created with special ingredients to help dogs that deal with health issues related to digestive problems and skin issues.
This dog food contains ingredients that are easy to digest. The food is made with real salmon as the first ingredient. It also contains beneficial grains like barley and rice for a balanced diet.
- food is made in US facilities
- contains live probiotics for immune health
- gentle ingredients reduce common digestive issues
- available in 4 bag sizes
- doesn’t contain corn, wheat, or soy
- rich in beneficial fatty acids for skin and coat health
- food may have a strong smell that’s off-putting to people
- price per pound may be higher than other brands of dog food
This dog food from Purina Pro Plan was made for dogs with sensitive stomachs. IT has salmon as the first ingredient and also contains nutrients from healthy grains and other foods.
1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula dry dog food is made with natural ingredients. This food contains high-quality protein from reliable sources to help keep your dog happy and active.
This dog food from Blue Buffalo comes in several flavors, including the featured Healthy Weight formula which is designed to help dogs maintain an ideal weight based on their breed.
- available in 3 bag sizes
- contains the brands signature LifeSource Bits
- made with healthy proteins and grains
- provides all the nutrients your dog needs to stay healthy
- can be used for all breed sizes
- made without corn, wheat, and soy
- may not be ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- not the best option for puppies or senior dogs
This dog food from Blue Buffalo is made with natural ingredients. It contains a blend of healthy protein, grains, and other foods to provide your dog with a balanced diet.
When shopping for dog food, it’s essential to compare different brands based on their formula and nutrients to choose the best option for your dog. Cheap dog foods are often made with by-products, corn, soy, and other unhealthy ingredients. While some grains are good for some dogs, other dogs don’t tolerate grains well. You may need to try several different foods when finding the right one for your dog. And always transition them to a new food slowly to prevent stomach upset.
There are so many different brands and formulas of dog food to choose from. Many are vet-recommended but that doesn’t always mean they are the best. Look at the ingredients and compare the protein, fat, and carbohydrates rations between the brands you’re considering. Some formulas are designed for older dogs or for dogs of a specific size or weight while others are general purpose for any dog. Read the consumer reviews for useful information on choosing the best food for your dog.
- 10. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- 9. Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food
- 8. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
- 7. Cesar Gourmet Wet Dog Food
- 6. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- 5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- 4. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Chicken & Rice Dry Dog Food
- 3. Purina Pro Plan with Probiotics Shredded Blend High Protein, Adult Dry Dog Food
- 2. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
- 1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food