If your dog has limited mobility or just needs some help climbing, you may be looking for ways to help them out. But this can be challenging if you have a large dog that’s too heavy to lift. A dog ramp designed for large dogs can be the ideal way for your dog to climb into your car, onto your sofa, or onto other areas where they can’t easily jump.
When choosing a ramp for your large breed dog it’s important to compare the different options based on their weight limit and width. Be aware of the weight of your dog so you can choose a ramp that will safely accommodate them. If you have an older dog with limited mobility it’s helpful to choose a ramp that has a textured surface to help your dog climb securely. The following is a list of the 10 best dog ramps for large dogs based on reviews by consumer report.
10. Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
The Gen7Pets Natural step ramp is designed for large to extra large dogs. This step has a textured surface to help your dog grip the ramp with their claws as they go up and down.
This ramp from Gen7Pets has a durable design to withstand heavy-duty use. It can be used to help your dog get into your vehicle or to help them climb onto other surfaces like your sofa.
- covered with a poly-grass material to provide traction
- easy to open and fold for storage and travel
- has a maximum weight limit of 250 pounds
- has a width of 16″ to accommodate large dogs
- folds to a width of only 3″ thick
- textured surface is comfortable for your dog’s feet
- even when folded this ramp may be too long to fit into some vehicle trunks
- handle is located in an inconvenient spot which can make unfolding the ramp difficult
This ramp from Gen7Pets is textured for comfort and traction when your dog is climbing up or down. The ramp folds up easily for travel. It has a handle for easy transport.
9. Heeyoo Upgraded Nonslip Car Dog Steps
The Heeyoo Upgraded Nonslip dog steps are designed to help your dog get into your vehicle easily. These steps are lightweight and easy to take with you wherever you need them.
This set of steps for dogs include a heavy-duty frame that can easily support most large dogs. These steps fold up so you can keep them in your vehicle as needed.
- can support up to 150 pounds
- steps have a non-slip surface for stability
- wide design can accommodate larger dogs
- fold up compactly
- lightweight but sturdy
- have anti-skid rubber feet to prevent the steps from moving
- not ideal for dogs with joint issues as they still need to be able to climb
- may not fit on the side door of some vehicles
This set of steps for dogs is designed to help your large dog get into your vehicle easily. The steps can fold up so you can keep them in your trunk for easy access.
8. Upgraded Pet Dog Car Step Stairs
The upgraded pet car stairs are designed for indoor or outdoor use. These stairs can help your dog climb into your vehicle with ease. They can also be used to help your dog get onto other surfaces inside your home.
This set of dog stairs has a lightweight frame that’s durable and designed to last. The steps have a textured surface to prevent your dog’s feet from slipping when they’re climbing up or down.
- can support up to 150 pounds
- steps weigh only 10 pounds
- include anti-skid rubber feet on the bottom to keep the stairs in place on nearly any surface
- fold easily and can be stored in the included carrying bag
- can be used with nearly any SUV and some sedans
- have a low angle or high angle option
- not ideal for dogs with limited mobility who struggle with stairs
- the end caps come off easily and can get lost
This set of dog stairs has 2 different angles to work for different vehicles. The stairs are made of durable materials with a sturdy frame that can support up to 150 pounds.
7. Upgraded Pet Dog Car Step Stairs
These upgraded dog car steps have 5 stairs to make it easy for your dog to climb into or out of your vehicle or onto furniture or other surfaces inside or outside your home.
This set of stairs Snagle Paw is lightweight but durable. It can easily accommodate most large to extra large dogs to help them reach areas they can’t climb to on their own.
- has a maximum weight limit of 150 pounds
- stairs weigh only 12 pounds
- includes a free carrying bag for storage or travel
- can be used with SUVs, trucks, and some sedans
- rubber pads on the bottom help keep the stairs in place during use
- can be folded compactly
- may not fit into rear seats of vehicles with smaller door openings
- doesn’t flatten into a ramp which can still prove difficult to use for dogs with limited mobility
This set of stairs from Snagle Paw includes 5 steps to help your dog climb into your vehicle or other places. These stairs are lightweight but have a durable frame that can hold up to 150 pounds.
6. Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp
The Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp is available in several lengths to work well for different heights. This ramp is lightweight but sturdy to be used with dogs of all sizes.
This ramp has a textured surface to provide traction for your dog as they climb up or down. It’s easy to use and can be helpful for dogs who struggle with jumping into your vehicle or other high surfaces.
- ramp is covered in soft material with texture for added grip and comfort
- can be folded easily for storage or travel
- has raised edges to keep your dog from slipping off the side
- includes a carrying handle
- can be used for dogs up to 200 pounds in weight
- has rubberized grippers on the bottom for security during use
- pricier than some other ramps
- ramp may be too steep for some dogs to comfortably use
This ramp from Pet Gear is available in several lengths. The ramp can accommodate large breed dogs easily. It has a textured surface that’s soft to the touch but still provides traction.
5. PetSafe CozyUp Bed Ramp for Dogs and Cats
The PetSafe CozyUp ramp is designed for use by dogs or cats. This ramp is made to help your dog reach the bed, sofa, or other surfaces inside your home.
This ramp from PetSafe comes in 2 finishes: white or cherry. It has a high-traction carpeted surface that’s soft on your pet’s feet while also providing plenty of traction to prevent them from slipping.
- can support up to 120 pounds
- wooden frame is durable and designed to last
- works well for small, medium, and large dogs
- has a stylish look
- can be set up for different heights
- easy to assemble
- takes up a lot of space
- not designed for outdoor use
This ramp from PetSafe helps your dog reach your bed or sofa more easily. The ramp comes in 2 color options and includes carpeting for texture to help prevent slippage.
4. Pet Gear Full Length Ramp
The Pet Gear Full-Length ramp is available in tri-fold or bi-fold. This ramp is durable and designed to last, even when used frequently and with large breed dogs.
This ramp from Pet Gear is compact and easy to fold away for storage or travel. You can keep it in the trunk or cargo space of most vehicles so it’s available when you need it.
- includes a slip-resistant surface
- works for pets up to 200 pounds in weight
- has rubber grips on the bottom to keep your dog from slipping
- easy to fold and unfold
- measures 16″ wide
- includes a built-in molded handle
- may not work in the back seat of some cars and SUVs due to the width of the door opening
- sandpaper-like surface may feel rough to some dogs
This dog ramp from Pet Gear can support up to 200 pounds. The ramp is easy to fold and can be folded compactly for storage inside your vehicle when not in use.
3. PetSafe Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp
The PetSafe Solvit Deluxe pet ramp has a telescoping design that makes it versatile to use for many occasions. This ramp can help your dog get into and out of your vehicle with ease.
This ramp from PetSafe has a sliding design that makes it compact and easy to store or travel with. You can keep it in your vehicle so it’s always accessible when you need it.
- includes a high-traction surface to prevent your dog from slipping
- has side rails which is ideal for older dogs who need extra safety measures
- ramp weighs only 13 pounds
- made of durable but tough aluminum
- can support up to 400 pounds
- is easily adjustable to work well for different heights
- the surface of the ramp is quite coarse which may irritate some dogs’ paws
- may not be wide enough for extra-large breed dogs
This ramp from PetSafe has an aluminum frame which makes it lightweight and easy to fold, but also durable to withstand frequent use. The ramp can easily support most large dogs.
2. TOBBI 62” Bi-fold Portable Dog Ramp
The TOBBI bi-fold portable dog ramp has a space-saving design that allows you to take it with you and use it nearly anywhere. This ramp folds in half for storage and travel.
This dog ramp from TOBBI is heavy-duty to work well for large dogs but is still lightweight enough to manage it easily. The ramp is ideal for helping your dog get into and out of your vehicle with ease.
- can support up to 200 pounds
- ramp weighs only 10 pounds
- has rubber grippers on the bottom to keep it in place
- works well for large dogs
- has a high traction walking surface to prevent your dog from slipping
- folds in half to save space
- ramp may slide off the vehicle when extra-large dogs use it, which may require you to hold it in place for safety
- this unit may be to steep for some dogs depending on the type of vehicle you have
This dog ramp from TOBBI is well-made and durable. It folds easily in half to save space during storage or travel. The ramp is designed to accommodate dogs up to 200 pounds in weight.
1. PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp
The PetSafe Happy Ride folding dog ramp is affordable and easy to use. This ramp folds in half which means you can keep it in your trunk or cargo space of your vehicle for use any time.
This ramp from PetSafe is made from durable materials to hold up to heavy-duty usage by large dogs. The lightweight design of the ramp makes it easy to set up and fold away.
- can support dogs up to 150 pounds
- ramp weighs only 10 pounds
- has a high traction surface to prevent slipping
- measures 16″ wide to accommodate large dogs
- length of 62″ works well for many types of vehicles
- raised sides help keep your dog safe
- the sandpaper-like surface may be too rough for some dogs
- can slip off your vehicle during use if you don’t hold it
This ramp from PetSafe has a lightweight design that makes it easy to set up on your vehicle. It can be folded in half so you can take it with you wherever you need it.
There are many brands and styles of dog ramps available. Most are adjustable so you can use them for different heights to allow your dog to climb into your vehicle or on other surfaces where they can’t jump. Dog ramps work well for large breed dogs of all ages but they can be especially helpful for senior dogs or those with joint issues who have trouble jumping. When choosing a dog ramp for your large dog, it’s important to choose one based on its width and weight capacity.
Another useful feature to look for large dogs is the ability to fold the ramp easily for transport or storage, especially if you plan on using the ramp to help your dog get into your vehicle. It’s helpful to read online consumer reviews when shopping for a dog ramp for your large dog. These reviews can provide useful information on the quality, ease of use, and value to help you choose the best ramp for your money.
- 10. Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
- 9. Heeyoo Upgraded Nonslip Car Dog Steps
- 8. Upgraded Pet Dog Car Step Stairs
- 7. Upgraded Pet Dog Car Step Stairs
- 6. Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp
- 5. PetSafe CozyUp Bed Ramp for Dogs and Cats
- 4. Pet Gear Full Length Ramp
- 3. PetSafe Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp
- 2. TOBBI 62” Bi-fold Portable Dog Ramp
- 1. PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp