Anyone who has dealt with hard water understands all the problems it can cause. Hard water can be bad for your skin and hair. It’s also problematic to drink or cook with. Plus, hard water leaves stains and residue on appliances, showers, toilets, sinks, and more. The best way to deal with hard water in your home is to install a water softener. Many people prefer to use salt-free water softeners because they require less care and maintenance.
When shopping for a salt-free water softener, it’s important to compare the different options available to choose one that will work best for your home. Water softeners are usually categorized based on the size of home they are designed to work in. This usually involves the number of bathrooms a home has as well as the number of people in the home who are using water regularly. The following is a list of the 10 best salt-free water softeners based on reviews by consumer guides.
10. Aquios DuoPlus DS600S 2-Stage Full House Salt Free Water Softener
The Aquios DuoPlus DS600S 2-stage salt-free water purifier is designed for whole-house use. This unit works efficiently to remove contaminants that lead to hard water.
This salt-free water softener from Aquios has a premium design and is made for use in most homes. It can be installed professionally or as a DIY project by anyone with some plumbing knowledge.
- designed with a premium catalytic GAC
- removes chlorine, chloramines, tannins, and more from your water supply
- helps prevent corrosion of pipes and fixtures
- can be used in houses of nearly any size
- prevents the buildup of stains and hard water residue
- can make your water taste better
- quite pricey when compared to some other salt-free softeners
- replacement filters can also be expensive
This whole-house water softener removes many harmful contaminants from your water. This helps protect the pipes and appliances in your home and also makes your water safer to drink and bathe in.
9. Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Salt-Free Water Conditioner
The Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft salt-free water conditioner is designed to naturally condition your water to make it safer for use. This unit is long-lasting when compared to many other water conditioners from other brands.
This water conditioner from Aquasana is designed as a stand-alone conditioner. It can also be used to supplement your whole-house water conditioning system.
- uses SimplySoft media that lasts up to 6 months
- can be used for up to 50,000 gallons of water
- has an operating pressure range from 20 psi to 100 psi
- easy to install when compared to other systems
- can be used in nearly any size home
- efficiently softens water safely and effectively
- not designed as a whole-house system
- using this unit may decrease your water pressure
This water softener from Aquasana can be used by itself or as a companion to a whole-house system. It removes impurities to soften your water which can reduce damage to pipes and appliances.
8. Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System & Salt Free Water Softener Combo
The Filtersmart Whole House water filter system comes with a salt-free softener. This system helps remove most types of impurities from your entire home’s water supply.
This whole-house water filtration system removes potentially harmful contaminants from your water. This protects the pipes in your home and also makes your water safer for drinking and cooking.
- designed to be used in homes with 1-3 bathrooms
- can filter up to 1 million gallons of water
- uses all-natural coconut shell carbon to make your water taste better
- removes chlorine, VOCs, and other common contaminants
- ideal for use in most small to medium-sized homes
- relatively easy to install
- filters need to be changed every 6-8 months and can be quite pricey
- not designed for use in large homes
This whole-house water filtration system removes impurities from you water naturally without the use of salt. The system is perfect for use in homes with 3 or fewer bathrooms.
7. Tier1 Essential Certified Series Whole House Water Filter System w/Salt-Free Softener
The Tier1 Essential Certified Series whole-house water filtration system is designed to soften your water without salt. This system also removes many other impurities to make your water safer and help it taste better.
This whole-house water system reduces contaminants in the entire water supply of your home. This is beneficial for cooking and drinking water, but also helps reduce buildup on pipes, tubs, shower walls, and sinks.
- doesn’t require draining or back-flushing
- removes sediment and 97% of chlorine from your water
- helps maintain the pH level between 6.5 and 8.5
- can extend the life of your washer, dishwasher, and tankless water heater
- makes water taste better for drinking
- prevents hard water buildup on sinks, toilets, and tubs
- requires you to purchase fittings separately for installation
- doesn’t reduce TDS
This whole-house water filtration system removes hard minerals from your water. It also filters out chlorine so water tastes better and doesn’t have that chemical smell.
6. Water Filter and Salt Free Water Softener
This salt-free water filter and water softener system is designed to be installed in homes with 1-3 bathrooms. It’s a whole-house unit which means it works on your entire home’s water supply to soften it and remove impurities.
The SpringWell water filtration and softener system is designed to give you great tasting water at every faucet in your home. It also helps extend the life of your pipes and the appliances in your home that use water.
- removes up to 99.6% of chlorine
- the 4-stage design allows for the most contact between water and filtration media
- removes most harmful contaminants
- can be used in small to medium-sized homes
- relatively easy to install with basic plumbing knowledge
- can save money over time since you no longer need to buy bottled water for drinking
- quite pricey when compared to some other softening systems
- system is large and heavy which can make installation a challenge for just one person
This salt-free water filtration and softening system is designed for whole-house use. It can be used in homes with 3 or fewer bedrooms to remove hard-water-causing contaminants.
5. Aquios AQFS220 Full House Salt Free Water Softener and Filter System
The Aquios AQFS220 full-house salt-free water softener and filter system is an affordable option for those looking for a whole-house filtration system on a budget.
This water filtration and softening system from Aquios is smaller than many other systems when makes it a good option for installation in homes where space is limited.
- prevents and removes lime-scale buildup on toilets, showers, and sinks
- helps reduce and prevent corrosion on pipes and fittings
- uses coconut carbon block filtration to remove chlorine from your water
- makes your water taste better for drinking
- can help your water-using appliances last longer
- easy to install
- filter needs to be replaced every six months on average
- can significantly decrease your water pressure
This water softening and filtration system is compact and affordable when compared to many other whole-house systems. It’s ideal for use in small to medium-sized homes.
4. APEC Water Systems FUTURA-15 Premium 15 GPM Whole House Salt-Free Water Softener & Water Conditioner
The APEC Water Systems FUTURA-15 Premium whole-house water softening and conditioner is designed to make your water safer for drinking. It also helps reduce buildup on pipes, fixtures, and appliances.
This whole-house system from APEC is perfect for use in medium to larger-sized homes. It’s suitable for homes with 3-6 bathrooms which is more than many other systems.
- has a 15 gallons per minute flow rate
- comes with a 10-year limited warranty
- uses a natural and safe process to remove scale from your water
- based on size and capabilities this unit is cheaper than many others
- doesn’t require as much space for installation as some other whole-house systems
- unit doesn’t need salt or chemicals to remove contaminants which makes water safe for use all around the home
- replacement filters can be quite pricey
- this system may require professional installation depending on the plumbing of your home
This whole-house water softening system can be used in homes with 3-6 bathrooms. The system uses natural processes to remove contaminants from your water.
3. Tier1 Essential Certified Series Salt Free Water Softener
The Tier1 Essential Certified Series salt-free water softener has been tested and certified to NSF/ANSI 61 using the scale reducing media included in this filter.
This water softening system can reduce damage to your pipes, sinks, appliances, and more by removing impurities that can leave stains, residue, and buildup over time.
- doesn’t have a control valve to program
- designed for whole-house use in homes with up to 3 bathrooms
- includes the resin tank and sediment filter
- improves the condition of your water throughout your home
- can help your washer, dishwasher, and kitchen and bathroom fixtures last longer
- installation is quick and easy
- requires you to purchase fittings and other pieces for installation
- not designed for large homes
This whole-house water softening system uses the latest in technology to efficiently remove impurities from your water. It’s designed for use in small to medium-sized homes.
2. Nuvo H2O Manor + Taste Complete Whole House Water Softener System
The Nuvo H2O Manor + Taste complete whole house water softener system also conditions and filters you water. This system helps your water taste better and also makes it better for cooking, washing clothes, and cleaning.
This whole-house water filtration system includes wall mounts and a guide to help make installation quick and easy. The system works efficiently and doesn’t need electricity to function.
- includes 1 carbon filter
- unit has been third-party tested and verified to show that it removes minerals and other contaminants
- doesn’t waste water during use
- designed to treat and soften your home’s entire water supply
- reduces buildup on appliances, pipes, and fixtures
- makes your water taste better
- may reduce your water pressure
- replacement filters can be expensive and need to be changed every 6 months on average
This whole-house water treatment and softener system works well in most small or medium-sized homes. The system helps your water taste better and reduces buildup on the fixtures and appliances in your home.
1. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ Salt-Free Conditioner
The Aquasana whole-house water filter system includes a salt-free conditioner. This system is designed to filter and soften your home’s entire water supply.
This whole-house water softening system from Aquasana is designed to filter sediment that can leave residue on your pipes, fixtures, sinks, appliances, and more.
- removes around 97% of chlorine
- uses carbon and KDF to safely filter your water
- designed to be cost-efficient when compared to buying bottled drinking water
- filters and softens all your water so you always have access to safe and tasty drinking water
- descales to prevent unsightly buildup
- easy to maintain
- system is quite pricey, especially when you consider the cost of replacement filters
- doesn’t reduce total dissolved solids
This whole-house water filtration and softening system removes chlorine and other impurities from your water. The system works efficiently to provide you with a constant supply of water.
Salt-free water softeners can save a lot of time and money when compared to water softeners that use salt. They don’t require you to replace or add salt to keep them functioning properly. Most salt-free water softeners are easy to install, especially ones that aren’t designed for whole-house use. You may also prefer to use a professional to install your water softener if you don’t have experience in basic plumbing work.
Hard water is a frustrating thing to deal with. It can damage your appliances over time and also causes them to look unsightly due to residue left behind. Plus, when you wash clothes in hard water, they may not get as clean. By installing a salt-free water softener in your home, you can be sure to have safe water for drinking and cooking. It’s beneficial to read consumer reviews when choosing a water softener to help you get the best option for your money.
- 10. Aquios DuoPlus DS600S 2-Stage Full House Salt Free Water Softener
- 9. Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Salt-Free Water Conditioner
- 8. Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System & Salt Free Water Softener Combo
- 7. Tier1 Essential Certified Series Whole House Water Filter System w/Salt-Free Softener
- 6. Water Filter and Salt Free Water Softener
- 5. Aquios AQFS220 Full House Salt Free Water Softener and Filter System
- 4. APEC Water Systems FUTURA-15 Premium 15 GPM Whole House Salt-Free Water Softener & Water Conditioner
- 3. Tier1 Essential Certified Series Salt Free Water Softener
- 2. Nuvo H2O Manor + Taste Complete Whole House Water Softener System
- 1. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ Salt-Free Conditioner