Having hard water in your home can be very frustrating. Not only does it cause issues with plumbing and appliances that use water, but it can also wreak havoc on your skin and hair.
Hard water can leave a residue on your tub, shower, toilets, and sink fixtures. This means more cleaning and scrubbing to get your kitchens an bathrooms to look clean.
Hard water can be fixed by installing a water softener. These systems use various methods to remove impurities in your water. Salt free water softeners work well to soften your water and provide you with great tasting drinking water in your home.
There are many options to choose from when it comes to salt free water softeners. These systems use several methods to neutralize the compounds in water that make it hard.
A salt free water softener can help prevent damage to your appliances and fixtures in your home. They are available at a wide range of price points so you’re able to choose the one that best fits your needs and budget. The following is a list of the 10 best salt free water softeners by consumer report.
No products found.
10. Pelican Water Salt-Free Water Softener & Conditioner
The Pelican Water Salt-Free Water Softener & Conditioner is designed to prevent minerals from causing buildup on your plumbing. This helps to prevent clogs and also keeps your pipes and appliances from being damaged due to hard water.
This water softening system leaves in the beneficial minerals while reducing the negative effects of hard water. It’s easy to install and designed to be used in homes with 1 to 3 bathrooms. The system has been shown to be highly effective and can reduce around 99.6% of scale.
- creates no waste water
- has a 10 gallon per minute flow rate
- comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- leaves in the beneficial minerals
- operates without the need of electricity
- prevents the clogging of showerheads, pipes, and other plumbing fixtures
- not designed for use in homes with more than 3 bathrooms
- sediment pre-filter needs to be changed every 6 to 9 months
This water softening and conditioning system uses a blend of granules that prevent the buildup of scale on your plumbing. The system leaves the beneficial elements in your water. It’s easy to install and doesn’t need an electricity to operate.
9. Aquasana THD-AS20 SimplySoft 2-Year 20 in. Salt-Free Water Softener
The Aquasana THD-AS20 SimplySoft Salt Free Water Softener is designed to treat your water to prevent the buildup of scale on the fixtures and appliances in your home. This unit is easy to install and it comes with the installation bracket.
This small water softening device is more compact and lightweight than other systems. It can be installed in the room in which you need it. The unit weighs less than 10 pounds and is 23″ tall so you can easily install it under most kitchen or bathroom sinks.
- offers effective salt-free water treatment
- unit is small and easy to install
- includes bracket needed for installation
- lightweight and compact
- designed to be used for up to 2 years
- changing the cartridge is easy
- not ideal for large homes where you have many bathrooms that need water treatment
- cartridges may not last as long as expected in cases where water is extremely hard
This water softener is salt-free and treats your water to prevent the buildup mineral deposits in your home. It can make your faucets, showerheads, and other fixtures easier to clean and also can extend the life of them. Plus, it also prevents buildup on the inside of pipes so that your plumbing works efficiently.
8. Pelican Water 34 GPM Whole House Water Filtration and NaturSoft Salt-Free Softener System
The Pelican Water Whole House Water Filtration and Softener System is designed to treat the water in your entire home with only one installation required. This system naturally softens your water without the use of salt to provide you with water for drinking and other uses.
This system from Pelican Water Systems helps to prevent and remove hard water scale buildup on your appliances, plumbing, and fixtures. The system is large and can be installed inside or outside. When installed outdoors it should be protected from freezing temperatures.
- treats whole house with one system
- can significantly reduce chlorine
- uses a 5-micron filter system to remove many different impurities
- gives you conditioned water without the slippery feel
- can remove scale buildup to extend the life of your appliances
- reduces chlorine for better tasting water
- system is extremely large and requires a lot of space for installation
- may require a professional to install this system in your home
This whole house water conditioning and softening system removes chlorine and prevents mineral buildup. It uses natural methods and requires no salt to treat your water. The system is ideal for homes of all sizes and can even work for larger homes where other systems wouldn’t be enough.
7. Pelican WF10 Iron/Manganese Whole House Water Filter & Salt-Free Softener
The Pelican WF10 Whole House Water Filter & Salt-Free Softener is designed for use in large or small homes. This system can function well for a home with as many as 4 to 6 bathrooms. It comes complete with everything needed for installation.
This whole house water treatment system can remove many of the most common contaminants in water that cause stains and buildup around your home. It can even remove iron up to 10 parts per minute. It makes your water softer and more useful for cleaning and doing other tasks indoors and outdoors.
- removes iron to prevent stains on sidewalks, houses, and other places
- complete system comes ready to be installed
- equipped with non-electric self priming pump
- can be used in larger homes
- safe for use with septic systems
- removes iron
- higher price than many other salt-free systems
- system is large and requires a bigger space for installation
This whole house water treatment system from Pelican Water Systems can be used in homes with up to 6 bathrooms. It includes everything needed for installation. The system softens water and also removes iron to prevent rusty stains on your appliances and other areas of your home.
6. Magna-Soft Salt Free Magnetic Water Conditioner
The Magna-Soft Salt Free Magnetic Water Conditioner uses magnetic technology to prevent scale buildup from hard water. This system treats many common minerals that can be found in your water like magnesium and calcium.
This water treatment system uses magnets to keep the mineral suspended in the water to prevent buildup on your appliances and fixtures. This can help extend the life of the water using appliances in your home and will also help them work more efficiently.
- provides the same results as a water softener
- prevents scale buildup
- helps soap lather better and rinse off completely
- treats most common types of minerals found in hard water
- uses carbon filtration to freshen and remove odors
- magnetic softener has over 500 pounds of pulling power
- may require professional installation
- not designed for use in larger homes
This water filter and treatment system uses magnets to suspend elements in hard water. This helps your washing machine and dish washer work more efficiently and helps them last longer. The system also uses carbon filtration to remove odors so your water is fresher.
5. LiquaGen – Whole House Home Water Filtration System
The LiquaGen Whole House Water Filtration System is a salt free water conditioner that filters every drop of water in your home to prevent issues associated with hard water. This system comes with a pre-loaded tank and everything needed for installation.
This water conditioning system from LiquaGen has a large tank that is designed to work for the entire water supply at your home. It uses a carbon filter along with media designed to remove harmful and damage causing elements from your water.
- 1″ inlet and outlet connections
- helps reduce your exposure to chemicals that can damage skin and hair
- prevents buildup of scale on your appliances and fixtures
- comes with everything needed for installation
- carbon removes chlorine and improves the taste of your water
- sediment removes sand, dust, and rust
- installation requires some plumbing knowledge
- can only be installed outdoors with weather proofing
This whole house water conditioning system from LiquaGen removes chlorine, rust, dust, and other impurities from your water. The system comes with all the parts needed for installation and uses standard 1″ connectors so most people won’t need to buy any extra parts for installation.
4. Hard Water Genie Salt-Free Treatment Conditioner
The Hard Water Genie Salt-Free Treatment Conditioner uses computerized technology to condition and soften your water. This system is virtually maintenance free so you don’t even have to think about it once the installation is complete.
This water treatment system from Hard Water Genie comes complete with everything you need for installation. It conditions you water supply for softer water that’s better for your skin and hair. It also helps prevent scale buildup on your appliances and fixtures.
- comes with a 180 day satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer
- system requires no back flushing
- reduces lime scale buildup to protect your appliances and plumbing
- salt and chemical free water treatment
- helps keep appliances in good working order by reducing wear and tear from hard water
- budget-friendly compared to many other systems
- doesn’t deal with odors or chlorine in your water
- not as effective as whole house systems
This affordable water conditioning system uses technology to reduce scale buildup to help extend the life of your appliances and plumbing fixtures. The system is relatively easy to install and it comes with everything you need to install the system in your home.
3. Nuvo H20 DPHB Home Salt Water Softener System
The Nuvo H20 DPHB Home Water Softener System is designed for use in smaller homes with 1 to 2 bathrooms. This unit has a capacity of 50,000 gallons which is the average annual water usage for a household with two people.
This water softener from Nuvo is easy to install and can be done by most people with basic plumbing knowledge. The system uses 20″ salt-free cartridges that can be easily replaced as needed. It reduces scale and can eliminate existing scale on your faucets, sinks, tubs, and appliances.
- has a water flow of 12 – 15 gallons per minute
- uses 1″ ports so it doesn’t affect your water flow
- can eliminate existing scale
- easy to install
- more affordable than other water softener systems
- doesn’t need constant salt replacement
- not designed for medium to large size homes
- needs replacement cartridges which can be pricey
This water softener system from Nuvo is quick and easy to install for those who have the most basic plumbing knowledge. It’s designed for use in smaller homes with 1 to 2 people. The system uses salt-free cartridges to remove scale and decrease buildup on the fixtures and appliances in your home.
2. Pelican PSE 2000 Whole House Water Filter & Water Softener
The Pelican PSE 2000 Whole House Water Filter & Water Softener is designed for use in medium to large size houses. This system can work well in a home with up to 4 to 6 bathrooms. This salt free system can treat and filter around 1,000,000 gallons of water.
This system from Pelican Water Systems has a 4 stage filter that treats the water supply in your entire home. The system has been certified for integrity and safety so you can feel confident that you’re spending your money wisely when you purchase it.
- has 99.6% certified scale prevention to protect your appliances and fixtures
- pre-filter only needs to be changed every 6 to 9 months
- tanks are wrapped in durable stainless steel for longevity
- requires minimal maintenance when it comes to changing filters and media
- can work well for larger homes
- has a 15 gallons per minute flow rate
- doesn’t remove fluoride from your water supply
- may not work as well for extreme hard water conditions
This whole house system from Pelican Water Systems is designed for use in homes with 4 to 6 bathrooms. It has a flow rate of 15 gallons per minute so you don’t have to worry about issues with your water pressure. The system softens your water and helps prevent buildup on appliances and plumbing fixtures in your home.
1. Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter with Salt-Free Softener
The Aquasana 10-Year Whole House Water Filter and Salt-Free Softener is a long-term solution to deal with hard water in your home. This system can filter and treat as much as 1,000,000 gallons which means you won’t have to purchase another system for around 10 years.
This water softener and filter from Aquasana is a high performance option that works without the need of back flushing or draining. The system comes with everything needed for professional installation. Those without plumbing knowledge can hire a professional to complete the installation job.
- creates no waste water
- includes filter tank, SimplySoft tank, 20″ pre-filter, and shut-off valves
- fittings are designed for use on .75″ pipes
- durable and long lasting
- treats and conditions your entire water supply with one installation
- reduces your exposure to chlorine
This water treatment system from Aquasana neutralizes many compounds that are commonly found in water. The system reduces chlorine to improve the taste of your drinking water. It comes with the 3 tanks needed for installation along with brass fittings and bend supports.
If you have hard water in your home you may have experienced some of the negative effects that go along with having a high concentration of mineral in your water. It can make it harder to rinse your hair and also can leave residue on your clothing.
Plus, hard water has scale that builds up on your fixtures and appliances which can damage them over time. By installing a water softener you can eliminate these issues from your home. There are many different salt-free water softening systems available at a wide range of prices. Some are designed for smaller homes with 1 to 2 bathrooms while others can function in a much larger house.
These salt-free conditioning systems neutralize the compounds in your water using technology that doesn’t require the use of salt. To choose the best system for your home you can benefit from reading online consumer reviews from others who have purchased and used the system.
- 10. Pelican Water Salt-Free Water Softener & Conditioner
- 9. Aquasana THD-AS20 SimplySoft 2-Year 20 in. Salt-Free Water Softener
- 8. Pelican Water 34 GPM Whole House Water Filtration and NaturSoft Salt-Free Softener System
- 7. Pelican WF10 Iron/Manganese Whole House Water Filter & Salt-Free Softener
- 6. Magna-Soft Salt Free Magnetic Water Conditioner
- 5. LiquaGen – Whole House Home Water Filtration System
- 4. Hard Water Genie Salt-Free Treatment Conditioner
- 3. Nuvo H20 DPHB Home Salt Water Softener System
- 2. Pelican PSE 2000 Whole House Water Filter & Water Softener
- 1. Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter with Salt-Free Softener