If you do a lot of sewing, whether it’s for a hobby or as a profession, you know the importance of having a good sewing machine. There are many sewing machines on the market at a wide range of price points which can make it hard to choose the right one. These machines have various features with some being digital and others having manual controls. Digital machines are great for those who need a variety of settings but they can also be pricey when compared to standard sewing machines.
Sewing machines can be used for many projects. They’re great for anyone who enjoys creating beautiful projects at home. Sewing machines can be used to mend clothes, sew blankets, and do so much more. When choosing the best sewing machine it’s important to think about the types of projects you plan to do most often. The following is a list of the 10 best sewing machines based on reviews by consumer guide.
10. SINGER 4423 Sewing Machine
The SINGER 4423 sewing machine is versatile so you can use it for most types of sewing projects. This machine is easy to use and is ideal for beginners or experienced sewers.
This sewing machine from SINGER has a heavy-duty design so it lasts for many years. It has a variety of stitches and includes a dial that makes it easy for you to switch between the stitches as needed.
- includes 23 different stitches
- has an automatic needle threader so you don’t waste time manually threading the needle
- can sew up to 1100 stitches per minute
- can be used by sewers with any experience level
- works to sew buttonholes, quilts, clothing, and more
- has a 60% stronger motor that lasts
- machine is heavy which can be challenging if you need to move it around
- doesn’t include a digital readout for adjusting the settings
This heavy-duty sewing machine from SINGER can be used for nearly any type of fabric or project. It has a variety of stitches to choose from and a dial on the side so you can adjust as needed.
9. Brother 150-Stitch Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine with Wide Table
The Brother 150-stitch computerized sewing and quilting machine has a wide table so you can easily tackle difficult projects. This machine features a digital readout that makes for quick and easy adjustments to the various settings.
This computerized sewing machine is ideal for the experienced sewer. It has a wide variety of stitches so you can use it for quilting, sewing clothes, creating home decor projects, and more.
- includes 150 builtin stitches
- has 8 styles of 1-step auto-size buttonholes
- large LCD screen allows you to view your stitches easily
- easy to adjust using the digital readout
- workspace is wider than many other sewing machines
- has 10 sewing and quilting feet to work for nearly any type of sewing project
- pricier than some other sewing machines
- may be too complicated to use for those who aren’t experienced sewers
This technologically advanced sewing machine is computerized and has 150 useful stitches. The machine features a wide table so you can easily work on quilts, blankets, and other large projects.
8. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Brother sewing and quilting machine has the latest in sewing technology to help you easily complete all types of sewing and quilting projects. This machine is easy to use and ideal for those with a lot of sewing experience.
This sewing machine from Brother has a wide variety of stitches for any job you can think of. The machine is computerized so you can adjust the settings easily using the digital screen.
- includes 165 builtin stitches
- the automatic needle threader makes for effortless needle threading
- has a jam-resistant drop in bobbin
- includes stitches for utility, heirloom, and decorative work
- can be used for sewing and quilting
- comes with a hard protective cover
- with so many stitch options, this machine may be overwhelming for beginners to use
- machine is quite large with a bigger workspace so it needs a larger area for use
This sewing machine from Brother has stitches to complete all types of sewing jobs. The machine has a digital screen that makes it easy to adjust the settings for the job you’re working on.
7. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
The SINGER Quantum Stylish 9960 portable sewing machine is computerized so you can view and adjust settings using a large digital screen. This machine is ideal for many types of sewing tasks.
This computerized sewing machine form SINGER is perfect for those who enjoy creating custom projects. It can be used for the hobby sewer or a professional.
- includes basic, stretch, and decorative stitches
- has an automatic needle threader which reduces time spent preparing your machine
- large work space makes it easy to use for quilts, blankets, and other large tasks
- includes a large selection of fonts to customize projects
- comes with an exclusive buttonhole underplate
- machine has over 600 different stitches
- not ideal for beginners due to price and extensive features
- large table requires a bigger workspace when compared to many other machines
This sewing machine from SINGER is ideal for anyone who frequently creates custom projects. It has a very wide range of stitches for sewing all types of materials. The digital screen makes it easy to change the settings.
6. Singer 3221 Simple Sewing Machine with Automatic Needle Threader
The Singer 3221 simple sewing machine is ideal for those who need basic stitches and don’t do a lot of custom work. This machine would also be a good option for beginners.
This sewing machine from Singer is easy to use. It has an automatic needle threader which helps save a lot of time when you’re prepping your machine for use each time.
- has 21 stitches to choose from
- included accessories can be stored on the machine when not in use
- comes with a fully automatic 1-step buttonhole
- compact in size when compared to many other machines
- has a dial that makes it easy to switch between stitches
- the adjustable stitch length feature helps you create stitches that last
- doesn’t have as many stitches and features as other machines
- work table is smaller which makes it not ideal for large projects
This simple sewing machine from Singer is a good option for those who don’t need a lot of different stitches. The machine has 21 stitches to choose from and a dial on the side so you can change them as needed.
5. Brother CS5055PRW Sewing Machine
The Brother CS5055PRW sewing machine has many builtin in stitches along with 5 auto-size buttonholes. This Project Runway limited edition sewing machine can be used by beginners or those with a lot of sewing experience.
This sewing machine from Brother includes a lot of accessories so you can sew clothing, home decor items, do mending, and more. It has a digital readout so you can choose your stitches with ease.
- has a drop-in top bobbin
- comes with an automatic needle threader to save time
- includes 7 sewing feet and 3 needles
- variety of stitches allows you to sew most fabrics with ease
- LCD display makes it easy to choose the right stitch for the job
- bobbin is resistant to jams
- the screen is small when compared to some other machines
- self-threader is not as easy to use as with some other machines
This sewing machine from Brother is ideal for those who enjoy sewing clothes. It also works well for other projects like mending and creating blankets and other home decor items.
4. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Brother sewing and quilting machine is a versatile machine that works well for most types of sewing jobs. This machine is easy to use and ideal for beginners or those who have been sewing for years.
This machine from Brother has a variety of stitches to work with most types of fabrics. It can be used to mend clothing and other items. The machine is also useful for creating clothes and other items for personal use or to sell.
- comes with 60 builtin stitches
- has 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- automatic needle threader saves time
- includes decorative stitches to create custom projects
- can be used for quilting
- digital screen makes it easy to choose the right stitch
- pricier than some other machines with similar features
- has a large work table which means it requires a larger space for use
This sewing and quilting machine from Brother comes with a 25-year warranty from the manufacturer. The machine has a variety of stitches and settings so you can use it for most types of sewing jobs.
3. SINGER Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine
The SINGER heavy-duty 4432 sewing machine is perfect for those who sew frequently and need a machine to stand up to everyday use. It works well for professionals or hobbyist sewers.
This sewing machine from SINGER is well-made and designed to last. It has a heavy-duty design and is made with high-quality materials so it can keep up with frequent sewing projects.
- includes a stainless steel bedplate
- heavy-duty metal frame lasts for many years
- has a wide base for stability during use
- perfect for professionals who sew everyday
- has a builtin reverse lever so you can sew in reverse with ease
- comes with many accessories
- machine is quite heavy and would be difficult to move around
- pricier than many other machines
This sewing machine from SINGER is designed to stand up to frequent use for professionals or hobbyists. The machine has 110 stitch applications with manual dials so you can adjust the settings as needed.
2. SINGER 230281412 MX60
The SINGER MX60 is a simple machine that’s perfect for those who sew occasionally and don’t need a lot of different settings. This machine would work well as a first sewing machine for beginners.
This simply designed sewing machine from SINGER has several stitches and settings that are easy to use and work well for most basic sewing jobs.
- has a manual dial to change the stitches and settings
- includes 6 essential stitches
- comes with preset stitches length and width to simplify the sewing process
- machine is lightweight and portable
- the perfect machine for beginners
- makes buttonholes easy
- doesn’t have nearly as many stitch options as other machines
- the lack of LCD screen may not work well for those who sew a lot
This simple sewing machine from SINGER is compact and easy to move around. It has basic stitches that can be used to complete most simple sewing projects.
1. Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine
The Brother XM2701 sewing machine is lightweight and compact so you can store it away when not in use. This machine would be a good option for those who sew infrequently and don’t need a complicated machine.
This sewing machine from Brother has many stitches to choose from so you can sew most types of fabrics with ease. The machine features a manual dial so you can choose the right stitch for the job.
- comes with 27 builtin stitches
- includes 6 sewing feet
- has an automatic needle threader
- drop-in bobbin saves time and effort
- manual controls makes it easy to switch between stitches and make other adjustments
- lightweight design allows you to move the machine around
- doesn’t have as many stitches as some other machines
- no digital screen for stitch selection
This compact sewing machine from Brother is versatile and easy to use. It features 27 stitches to work for different jobs and different fabrics.
When you’re shopping for a sewing machine it can be difficult to choose the best one that will meet your needs. Basic machines without a lot of settings work best for those who do simple sewing projects. If you sew professionally and sell lots of your hand-sewn items, you may need a more advanced machine to complete those jobs in a timely manner. Most sewing machines have many different stitch settings. Some have a digital panel that allows you to change the settings while others have a manual dial.
Sewing machines are relatively easy to use but there is a learning curve for those who are just starting out. It’s helpful to choose a sewing machine that threads easily to save time and prevent frustration. When deciding on which sewing machine to purchase, you can read the online reviews for the different available options. These reviews can provide you with information from other sewers who’ve purchase and used to machine so you can choose one that will meet your needs.
- 10. SINGER 4423 Sewing Machine
- 9. Brother 150-Stitch Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine with Wide Table
- 8. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 7. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
- 6. Singer 3221 Simple Sewing Machine with Automatic Needle Threader
- 5. Brother CS5055PRW Sewing Machine
- 4. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 3. SINGER Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine
- 2. SINGER 230281412 MX60
- 1. Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine